[mythtv-users] Can't simultaneously record two programs with 3 (or 4) available tuners v2

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 23:11:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
> This is important. This means your digital tuners are useless. Comcast
> almost certainly gave you what are called DTAs (digital transport adapters),
> which decrypt the cable signal for the selected channel and output an analog
> NTSC signal on channel 3 or 4. Or, if they gave you the HD-DTAs, it outputs
> on HDMI

Well, the HD-DTAs also (like the original SD DTA) offer an NTSC analog
connection.  I presume it works (and I presume that Comcast wants only
one DTA type in their ongoing inventory).

> and you can't do any recording with that (legally). So your best bet
> is to get your analog tuner(s) working with the DTAs. You'll need one DTA to
> match with each analog tuner you want to record at the same time, and an IR
> blaster for each DTA as well, to change the channel.

I had forgotten about using the NTSC option in my reply.  Yes, that
is still an option, but be aware that is SD only.  If you want HD
quality (to go with your new HDTV), you have to go OCUR or
HD-PVR.

Gary