[mythtv-users] How do I get full frame rate?

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sun Oct 13 06:50:06 UTC 2013

On 10/12/2013 08:17 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 18:48:34 -0700, you wrote:

>>> Until you said you were using a 2560x1600 monitor, I could see no
>>> reason for any problems.  What mode are you running the monitor in -
>>> are you having the Nvidia drivers upscale 720p to 2560x1600, or are
>>> you getting the monitor to do that (by having MythTV change the screen
>>> mode to match the content being played)?  I would think the latter
>>> would work.  Is that what the Centronics tuner does?  Get your monitor
>>> to tell you what mode it is in while using both sources.  There is
>>> usually a monitor menu somewhere that does that.
>>>
>> I tried both, neither worked. Having MythTV change resolutions really screwed up my display settings since it did not change the
>> resolution back when it exited, and the video was the wrong aspect ratio (tall & skinny, taller than it was wide).
> A GTX 760 should be easily capable of doing what you want, even with
> 2560x1600.  Your i7-900 CPU is probably a little old to do it all in
> CPU alone though - but you could try that and see what happens.
As I mentioned, I tried ALL combinations of Decoders & renderers. The playback with CPU only renderers was more uneven.

> I am going to make some suggestions of things to check - you may well
> have found all these already, but they are things I have met in the
> past that have caused problems.
>
> Do have the option set for "Separate modes for GUI and TV playback"
> (Setup > Appearance > Page 2: Video Mode Settings)?  It should have
> given you back the right aspect ratio for the GUI at the end of
> playback if you have.  If not, it sounds like there may be a bug
> somewhere.
This is the mode that gave me a completely wrong aespect ratio, and screwed up my graphics mode.
> Do you have the Paint engine setting on Auto (Settings > Appearance >
> Page 1: Theme / Screen Settings)?  If you have been using older
> versions of MythTV, that may still be some other value as the database
> upgrades do not change it.  Auto seems to be the best setting for it
> now.
My system had "Qt" selected, I changed it to "Auto", but the video is still skipping & doubling frames.
> Are your settings actually using VDPAU properly?  Check the CPU usage
> while playing back your 720p recording - CPU use should be low.  If
> not, it is not actually using VDPAU.
CPU is less than 5% total. I have it set to 4 CPUs, it won't let me set it higher even though multi-threading is enabled so I
have another 4 virtual CPUs.
> In your VDPAU settings, how many CPU cores is VDPAU set to use (Setup
>> Video > Playback > Page 3: Playback Profiles > Edit > Max CPUs)?  On
4
> that same screen, is the Video Renderer set to vdpau?  In the next
> screen, do you have vdpauhqscaling in the Custom filters setting?
Renderer is vdpau, that is the only option when NVidia VDAPU acceleration is selected.
I had no Custom filters selected. I tried adding vdpauhqscaling, but that does not help either.

> Is your dual-link DVI cable actually working in dual-link?  Is it
> possible to swap it with the (presumably HDMI) cable that is known to
> work on the Centronics tuner?
One can not get 2560x1600/60 with single link DVI, yes it is working.

> Some pages to look at for more ideas:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frame_display_timing
I am getting the error:

RTCVideoSync: Could not set RTC frequency:
                        eno: Permission denied (13)
so the system is using usleep.

$ cat /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq
64

I havn't figured out how to change max-user-freq in ubuntu yet.