[mythtv-users] Can mythtv (or mplayer/xine through mythtv) upmix 5.1 sound in 6.1 or 7.1?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 05:20:48 UTC 2013

On 12 October 2013 08:49, John Morris <jmorris at beau.org> wrote:
> Nothing on my cable system uses it, everything out of both my TV & Myth
> played perfectly.  But if it is in the ATSC specs those predate that amp
> so it would clearly be Sony's fault.  I didn't find any reference until
> BD but I didn't dig super hard; so I was willing to cut em some slack.

I've always believed (and still do) that the maximum bitrate allowed
by the standard for Dolby Digital / AC-3 is 640kbit/s.

However, the maximum bitrate that could be found on a DVD is 448kbit/s
and on laserdisc 384kbit/s

According to wikipedia:
" ATSC and digital cable standards limit AC-3 to 448 kbit/s."