[mythtv-users] Lossless Transcoding problems - Is it solvable or are there other options ?

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Thu Oct 10 16:52:13 UTC 2013

On 10/10/2013 5:31 AM, Chris Gaskell wrote:
> I've just moved from 0.24 to 0.26 and am finding the same issues as
> others have found with lossless transcodes.  I'm using mythtranscode
> to cut commercials and the end of the preceding programme. I had no
> problem in 0.24 so this is pretty frustrating.
>
> Using 0.26.0 lossless transcodes failed completely. After reading
> previous comments I updated to 0.26.1 and found lossless transcodes
> worked, but I lose the first few seconds of audio and according to the
> playback info, it thought my 45 minute programme lasted 26+ hrs!
> Furthermore, playback crashes if I try to skip forwards. I've not
> tried it yet but I believe vlc and handbrake also don't work properly
> with these files so it's all a bit unsatisfactory.
>
> From other threads, it seems the problems I'm seeing are a known
> issue.  Is there any way to fix it, or can anyone recommend another
> way of lossless commercial removal?  I'm no whizz from a terminal so
> would like a fix that I can use from inside mythtv - maybe a user job
> that calls ffmpeg ?
>
> Can anyone give some advice to get better results ?

I think that 0.27 lossless cut transcoding may work better for playback
in mythtv than 0.26 transcoding but I still get a few missing seconds of
sound at the beginning though seeking seems to bring the sound back. But
when using the transcoded file as input to mythffmpeg, avconv, vlc or
handbrake I do not get good results. In the best case the reported
duration is wrong sometimes wildly wrong (e.g. 27h for a 30m video) and
in the worst case handbrake and ffmpeg seem to hang until I kill the
process. The response that I got from Mike Dean could be interpreted to
mean that no developer is actively looking into the post-processing
problems so I am also looking for an alternative. I have been using 0.27
mythffmpeg to cut commercials with some success as long as I cut on
keyframes only but the cuts are not accurate which my be a limitation of
mythffmpeg or the mythtv editing process. At least the resulting files
can be post-processed by avconv, ffmpeg and handbrake.

John