[mythtv-users] 0.27 and AirPlay

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 9 21:10:47 UTC 2013

Craig Treleaven wrote:
>Nonetheless, I do apologize as I mistook the IPv6 address for a MAC
>address.  I have no idea where IPv6 is coming from; I didn't think my
>router had any IPv6 capability.
>
>In place of each <MAC address> above, substitute fe80:216:cbff:feab:7c39 .

IPv6 addresses starting with fe80:: (note the ::) are link-local auto-config (self assigned) addresses. The confusion with MAC address is understandable, if you look you'll find that they are derived from the MAC address (flip one bit, stuff ffffe in the middle).

So on any IPv6 capable system, you'll find that each interface has at least one IPv6 address. The link-local addresses can only be used to communicate between devices on the same network - routers will drop them. But for many people/situations, they are sufficient for zeroconf, aka Bonjour, aka mDNS to allow networking between local devices without any configuration.