[mythtv-users] 0.27 and AirPlay

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Wed Oct 9 18:16:03 UTC 2013

At 2:48 AM +1100 10/10/13, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>On 10 October 2013 02:19, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>

>>  I only have one frontend running at the moment.  Results from BonjourBrowser
>>  for AirPlay are:
>>
>>  _airplay._tcp.
>>    MythTV on MediaMini.local
>>      192.168.2.222:5100
>>      [<MAC address>]:5100
>>      192.168.2.222:5100
>>      [<MAC address>]:5100
>>      deviceid=37:2D:47:4F:23:43
>>      features=0x23b
>>      model=AppleTV2,1
>>      srcvers=101.28
>

>this doesn't make any sense...
>the first fields are IP addresses, it can't be a mac address...
>Are you sure it's not an IPv6 address?
>

>>  I also have two entries under AirTunes (_raop._tcp):  1 for Myth and another
>>  for my Marantz.
>
>and both using the same IP?
>
>I don't believe so...
>
>by trying to hide such "private" information, obfuscating stuff like
>that you only make the job for me harder to troubleshoot.
>
>it's almost 3AM for me, I can't be bothered anymore, going to bed.
>
>it works for me... I'll leave it at that

You don't need to snark that you "can't be bothered anymore"--I
didn't hold a gun to your head and say that you couldn't go to bed
until this was fixed.  If you haven't noticed, I've put a fair amount
of time into trying to puzzle out why this feature isn't working for
me, too.  The 0.27 Release Notes highlight "AirPlay photo sharing and
AirTunes visual playback" as "Key New Features".  Is it impertinent
of me to try to determine why they're not working for me?  The usual
rule of thumb is that, at most, 1 out of 10 people with a particular
problem will bother to report it.  At least 3 of us have had a
less-than-perfect experience with AirPlay.  Do you want to hear about
problems or drive the ratio to 0 of 10?

Nonetheless, I do apologize as I mistook the IPv6 address for a MAC
address.  I have no idea where IPv6 is coming from; I didn't think my
router had any IPv6 capability.

In place of each <MAC address> above, substitute fe80:216:cbff:feab:7c39 .

You didn't mention AirTunes in your previous email so I wasn't sure
if you expected to see different entries there or not.  The Myth
AirTunes entry has the same IP addresses (both v4 and v6) as for the
Myth AirPlay entry but on port 5000.  The Marantz is at
192.168.2.254:1029.  The Marantz has no IPv6 address listed.  Do you
really need the rest of the (extensive) AirTunes info?

Now, in the category of "what the H#ll?!?", Videos that would not
play yesterday now play with audio and video.  Photo AirPlay still
doesn't.  I have changed NO network settings, phone settings or Myth
settings.

Craig