[mythtv-users] Reactivate HDMI in the frontend

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Wed Oct 9 06:03:24 UTC 2013

On 10/8/2013 6:10 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> Hello and thank to all.
>
> I execute xset and xrand command and this is the result:
>
> $ xset -q
> Keyboard Control:
>    auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
>    XKB indicators:
>      00: Caps Lock:   off    01: Num Lock:    off    02: Scroll Lock: off
>      03: Compose:     off    04: Kana:        off    05: Sleep:       off
>      06: Suspend:     off    07: Mute:        off    08: Misc:        off
>      09: Mail:        off    10: Charging:    off    11: Shift Lock:  off
>      12: Group 2:     off    13: Mouse Keys:  off
>    auto repeat delay:  660    repeat rate:  25
>    auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
>                          fadfffefffedffff
>                          9fffffffffffffff
>                          fff7ffffffffffff
>    bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
> Pointer Control:
>    acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
> Screen Saver:
>    prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
>    timeout:  0    cycle:  0
> Colors:
>    default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0x0    WhitePixel:  0xffffff
> Font Path:
>    /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,built-ins
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>    Standby: 7200    Suspend: 7200    Off: 14400
>    DPMS is Disabled
>
> $ xrand
> Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
> DVI-I-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI-0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 1600mm x 900mm

The above line means the computer detects that the TV is connected to the HDMI output.

>     1920x1080      60.0*+   59.9     50.0     30.0     25.0     24.0
>   30.0     30.0     25.0
>     1280x1024      60.0
>     1280x720       60.0     59.9     50.0
>     1024x768       60.0
>     800x600        60.3
>     720x576        50.0     25.0
>     720x480        59.9     30.0
>     640x480        59.9     59.9
> DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>
> xset show that screensaver is activated:
>
> prefer blanking:  yes
> allow exposures:  yes
> timeout:  0
> cycle:  0

Not true. The fact that timeout is zero means the screen saver is disabled.

Also, at the end of the xset output is this:
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 7200    Suspend: 7200    Off: 14400
  DPMS is Disabled
Which, in your case is what you want. It means the computer won't try to put the TV into suspend to save energy.

> I try to run "xset s off", but nothing happens, it still show the same
> in "xset -q"
>
> Is this the correct way to disable the screensaver?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Regards.

When you ran these commands, was the TV displaying the frontend? I ask because it looks to me like the TV should have been displaying the frontend when these commands were executed. If so, or if you don't know because the TV was off, wait until the problem occurs, then try running these commands. If the TV was on and was not displaying the frontend, then I don't think the problem is with the computer. In that case, I would suspect either the HDMI cable or the TV. Try replacing the HDMI cable. If that doesn't work, try another HDMI connector on the TV.

Yes, HDMI cables can go bad. I had to replace one a few months ago that had been fine for a couple of years. My symptoms were occasional flickering to black. I replaced the cable and the problem disappeared.

HTH,
Helen