[mythtv-users] OT: system disk failure

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Oct 7 00:55:41 UTC 2013

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 23:50:37 +0200, you wrote:

>Thank you very much for your reply.
>
>I execute the short one and this is the result:
>http://paste.debian.net/plain/52061
>
>Is there something to worry about it?
>
>I execute the long test, but it will take more time.
>
>Thanks and best regards.

Absolutely nothing to worry about there - the drive is in excellent
health.  All of its SMART numbers are basically showing "no errors, no
problems".  Although it is a small drive, which usually means an older
model, it only has 193 days (3970 hours) of service, so it should have
a long lifetime left.  And it has never been above 31 degrees Celsius,
which is pretty amazing - most PC cases are at least 5 degrees above
ambient inside, so in summer the temperature inside the case would be
expected to reach a minimum of 35 degrees.  Unless the PC lives in an
air conditioned room all the time.

The only thing of note is that the short test never actually completed
by the time you read the SMART data.  The log shows two short tests,
one still running at 50% complete and one at aborted 30% complete:

# 1  Short offline       Self-test routine in progress 50%      3970
# 2  Short offline       Aborted by host               30%      3970

Since it is such a small drive, the long self test you are running
should only take 46 minutes ("Extended self-test routine recommended
polling time").