[mythtv-users] Can mythtv (or mplayer/xine through mythtv) upmix 5.1 sound in 6.1 or 7.1?

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Sat Oct 5 19:54:13 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-10-05 at 08:14 -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 10:40:46AM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> > > Digital. Otherwise 5.1 wouldn't work right either :)
> >

> Ok, that makes sense, so since I'm looking for a software solution that
> would only upmix real 5.1 into 6.1, this hopefully shouldn't be too bad.
>
> But this puts me back to square 1: I haven't found any alsa config to do
> this, or any other way with mythtv (which I was just told there isn't inside
> mythtv itself).
>
> So, has anyone ever done this or know a config that could?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

Could build the alsa-plugins & so get the AC3 encoder.
The AC3 encoder:
-  is not included in "alsa-plugins" for *buntus because of legal
reasons.
-  supports 2 ch & 5.1.
-  'might' support 6.1 output format.
-  got harder to build after ffmpeg/avconv debacle.
-  multiple channel mapping bugs (in past?)

MythTV outputs decoded discrete multi-channel PCM to alsa device.
Alsa will let you re-map & re-mix the channels & apply DSP.
The re-map/mix is fairly easy to configure..
But this is still a challenge..