[mythtv-users] R/O file system on old mythtv install : workaround

Bert Haskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Sat Oct 5 16:09:40 UTC 2013

On 10/04/2013 09:40 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 17:14:05 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to copy some mythtv recordings from a backend
>> box to either one of my portable hard drives before upgrading to the
>> latest mythbuntu.
>> Both drives fail to copy, reporting a read-only file system??.
>>
>> This has worked before so I'm at a loss trying to figure this out and
>> when I tried one of the drives on my main laptop, it appears to be OK.
>>
>> The mythbox uses that thundar file manager.
>> If the copy method is beyond hope can anyone suggest some other
>> method to save these files?
>> Thanks,
>>    -Bert
> It sounds like you are using automounting of some sort, and it is (for
> some unknown reason), mounting the drives as read only.  If you set up
> a proper mount point using the mount command manually, you should be
> able to get them to mount as writeable.
>
> So, how are the drives formatted (eg NTFS, EXT3, EXT4, JFS, XFS)?  How
> are they connected to the MythTV box (eg SATA, eSATA, USB 2.0, USB
> 3.0)?  What distro are you using?
>
> Without using automounting, you will need to be able to identify the
> drive to the mount command.  So here is what I would do on a
> Mythbutntu system.  Open a terminal, and do this:
>
> cd /mnt
> sudo mkdir temp
> sudo chmod a+rwx temp
> cd /var/log
> tail -f kern.log
>
> Then plug in one of the drives.  The drive should spin up as the
> system sees it and attaches it to a device driver.  As that happens, a
> number of messages should scroll by on the terminal.  As part of those
> messages, you should see where the system has attached the device -
> the messages will include /dev/sd<x> where the <x> bit is the drive
> letter that the system found free and attached the drive to.
>
> Now use Ctrl-C to stop the tail -f command, and do this:
>
> cd /mnt
> sudo mount /dev/sd<x> temp
>
> If all is going well, the drive should now be mounted as /mnt/temp on
> your filesystem, and should be visible there in Thunar.  If not, or it
> is still not writeable, then there may be some options that need to be
> added to the sudo mount command, or put into /etc/fstab.  Let us know
> and we should be able to work out what is needed.
>
> To unmount the drive, in the terminal do this:
>
> sudo umount temp
>
> If it has spun down (as USB drives will do), it will spin up before
> the unmount happens.  Wait for the sudo umount command to finish, then
> you can unplug the drive safely.
> ____________________________________
I am going to spend a little time, following your ( very welcome ) outline
to find what it is that changed on the old system.

I was able to go around the problem by booting up under a older Fedora 14
live disk.
All of my recordings copied to the USB portable hard drive with no problems.

I am a little bit eager to upgrade this system thou, as I want to
explore the
Android connection to mythtv.
I would like to find something like mythweb that will run off of my
tablet(s)
and/or phone(s) ( this may already exist ).

One of my phones, has a HDMI port so that might get interesting also.

Thanks again,
   Bert