[mythtv-users] Wayland

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Oct 1 13:54:26 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

> On 10/01/2013 09:10 AM, Marius Schrecker wrote:
> >  Just out of interest, I've been reading up on Wayland and have been
> > looking for any references to it in the MythTV roadmap, but haven't
> > found anything yet.
> >
> >  Does anyone know what the plan is? At some point this may start
> > affecting our hardware decisions: ie intel graphics - VA-API -
> > Wayland vs Nvidia - vdpau - X???
>
> Don't forget about Mir (Ubuntu's "we can do better than X /and/ we can
> do better than Red Hat's 'we can do better than X'").
>
> I'll say, though, that it has to start with Qt support. From there,
> we'll find out what we can (and/or can't) do.

Well, this week's LWN notes that Gnome, I think it's 3.1, is coming out
with Wayland/Weston support, though it's very "developer alpha" level,
for whatever that's worth.

My personal opinion, after 3 decades, is that it's going to be *very*
difficult to knock X off the top of the pyramid; anything that tries
is going to have to make it easy for apps to be built dual-mode for
quite some time.  As is: not make *developers* do that.

Cheers,
-- jra