[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: RF blaster

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 00:37:15 UTC 2013

On 9/30/13 5:14 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>
>> firewall
> Firewalls are not magic.  I was actually thinking about
> networks (such as share living complexes) where
> everyone shares the same network/access.  If you are
> not a single child, did you not play pranks on your sibling?
>
> Note that many current modems/routers have bugs that
> allow uPnP discovery behind the "firewall".  When do you
> think people will disable uPnP, or upgrade their firmware?
Actually, I tend to keep my firmware up to date. It beats recovering
from a compromise!

>> Or are you suggesting malware could infect hosts inside the firewall
>> and seek out STBs on the local network?  I suppose it's possible, but
>> it seems like a lot of work for little gain.
> In IPv6, *everything* has a public IP address (at least
> if you are doing it right).  There are certainly proponents
> of the position that network blocking should be removed,
> and the end node (which knows what it needs) configures
> its own security protections.
So, FC00::/7 ceased to exist?
FEC0::/10 stopped working as well?
Cool! I can take out all of those tunnels I created to keep my IPv4
hardware able to communicate with my IPv6 network!
:P:p:P:p

> Some MSOs are deploying cloud based solutions, where
> you tell the cloud servers what you want the STB to do,
> and it (eventually) does it (it gets the info from the cloud
> server).  I know one MSO allows you to program your
> DVR that way.  I certainly hope they use authentication
> rather than allow anyone to set your DVR to record every
> SpongeBob Squarepants episode ever broadcast).
> Today many STBs have DOCSIS modems in addition
> to their QAM decoders.  The current next step is CCAP,
> but the end game is pure IP based service delivery.  And
> your STB will have most of its smarts in the cloud.
I suspect that IP content will be the norm, however, I suspect there
will be compatibility issues for a long, long time between competing
services. There isn't any incentive for having a unified platform
between competing organizations, save customer satisfaction.
We know how important customer satisfaction is to cable providers, right?
Well, until large numbers of customers depart for a competitor...