[mythtv-users] starting with systemd was Who's running Myth on Arch, and what do you think?

mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 13:02:55 UTC 2013

Quoting James Linder <jam at tigger.ws>:

> Indeed it does work, but since it is almost exactly what I already
> had more spelunking was called for:
>
> Despite everything systemd DOES NOT wait for the devices to be ready !!
>
> The real magic occurs here
> Restart=on-failure
>
> and indeed I have two log files ... The first at boot time saying
> failure ... the second a short time later say all-is-well

I doubt systemd is capable of waiting for a device to be ready, that
would require it to know how to operate every possible device and have
the knowledge to work out what constitutes ready. So it is probably
waiting for the device file to exist. The device file is created by
udev so the problem may lie there. I don't know how udev operates but
it may be creating the device at the same time as it loads the kernel
module.

Looking through /var/log/dmesg on my system I see the em28xx module
print it's first message at 5.339s and the last message for tuner 0 at
6.703s. I have three tuners and the last message for the last tuner is
at 7.199s. There are enough gaps in that sequence for mythbackend to
start and fail.

I think your best bet is to live with the failure/restart. Anything
else is going to add more complexity. Or you could just add a sleep to
the mythbackend startup.

Cheers,
Tim.