[mythtv-users] After 7y5m running, time to start from scratch after update to .27?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 20:20:22 UTC 2013

Matthias wrote:
>scanning the astra satellite network and putting everything in a useable
>state is the single most time consuming task in setting up a myth
>system, to my experience. It gets worse when you also want to add some
>dvb-t receiver or maybe a dvb-c card, all delivering different subsets
>of the useful channels from astra. (In my current configuration, I am
>not doing that).
>
>It is also very possible that there is something I never really
>understood on how this is supposed to work, but cleaning out the
>hundreds of useless channels from astra, putting the useful channels in
>a wanted order (manually adding channums in mythweb seems to be the most
>efficient way) and adding the xmltvids (also in mythwweb) is very
>cumbersome. In "Starting from scratch", that represents 90% of the work.

Put a little more time into it and write a SQL script to do it for you - there are several on the Wiki to work from (one of which is based on one I wrote "some time" ago). The time consuming bit is working out what channels you want and their XML ids - then updating the script. From then on, rescanning is a doddle - rescan, run the script, job done.