[mythtv-users] Special needs dad with MythTV hardware questions

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Nov 23 22:18:35 UTC 2013

On 11/23/2013 04:43 PM, Jerry wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM, <mythtv-users.jim-j at mamber.net
> <mailto:mythtv-users.jim-j at mamber.net>> wrote:
>
>     [Which tuner(s) to buy]
>     My only source of TV is an antenna in my attic for receiving digital
>     OTA TV.
>
> I have a HDHR Prime with 3 tuners and it only has one cable connection.
> I think you'll be fine with a HDHR (non-prime).

The early HDHR's are alleged to have less sensitive tuners than, for
example some tvs. IIRC the HDHR Prime is for CABLE ONLY. I have 2 HDHR's
with one being fed from a pre-amp and they give me no problems.

I have a 2250 and usually it is being fed analog cable. (No unencrypted
QAM available). Testing shows that it is quite good for ATSC. I have
found that it needs to have the modules loaded in a particular order.

Both the HDHR and 2250 have only one coax input.

      [Which video card to buy?]
For this you may want to do some research. The marketing mode is to sell
video cards for the gamer market and those cards can be power hogs and
serious overkill for what is needed for tv. I'm doing fine with an
on-board GT9300 video chip and a 9600 card in the desktop at work*.

* for *testing* purposes only, I swear.

>     [Which case to buy?]
> Silverstone makes decent HTPC cases.  Lian Li?, I think, is another
> one.  I don't know any models offhand, sorry about that.  I'm sure
> someone else will chime in. :)

Silverstone makes some nice 'audio-style/home theatre' cases. Some have
builtin Soundgraph iMon IR remote hardware and come with a remote. (and
the kernel directly supports that hardware with the imon module and
devinput.
Thermaltake Bach and Mozart series cases are really nice 'home theatre
style' cases. Some come with IR remote hardware as above.
Antec make some great *quiet* cases. If you are using an external IR
transceiver then the case does not matter as much.
For quiet, I would recommend an Antec Kuhler or Corsair CPU water cooler
unit. I have a Kuhler 920 on the desktop box (Antec P183) at work and it
is basically silent even under max load.

HTH

              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Mandamus Publishing Inc.
       Suite 106, 150 Lakeshore Road West