[mythtv-users] MythTV does not see new Default Storage Group drive - working

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Nov 23 17:59:50 UTC 2013

On Nov 23, 2013, at 8:44, Mike's JdJ <stepsisters at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 11/22/2013 06:24 PM, Mike's JdJ wrote:
>

> Well, this is interesting.
>
> To test to see if there is a partition limit, I went into the MythTV BackEnd and REMOVED the /var/lib/mythtv/recordings entry from the 'Default' Storage Group Directories screen.  This leaves:
> /media/BigDisc4/VideoRecordings/
> /media/BigDisc3/VideoRecordings/
> /media/BigDisc2/VideoRecordings/
> /media/BigDisc/VideoRecordings/
>
> However, in the MythTV FrontEnd, Information Center, System Status, Machine Status, it now shows these MythTV Drives:
>
> Note:  it was giving strange listings [Drive #3 had both BigDisc3 and BigDisc4]; but after dozens of recordings and power-off shut downs, it's now:
>
> MythTV Drive #1 - BigDisc
> MythTV Drive #2 - BigDisc2
> MythTV Drive #3 - BigDisc3
> MythTV Drive #4 - BigDisc4
> MythTV Drive #5 - /var/lib/mythtv/livetv
>
> I sequentially started recording seven programs,
> [two Hauppauge HVR-2250 and a HD HomeRun Prime with cable card]
>
> It recorded the programs this way:
> BigDisc    Prog1  Prog5
> BigDisc2   Prog2  Prog6
> BigDisc3   Prog4
> BigDisc4   Prog3  Prog7
> /var/lib/mythtv/recordings  empty
>
> I'm a little uncomfortable that it does MythTV Drive #4 ahead of #3 and now shows an extra drive for livetv, but it seems to work for my wants.
>
> My strategy will be to move all my older recordings to BigDisc3, as it seems to be last in rotation.

If MythTV's recording load on both partitions is equal, it will choose the one with the most free space.

If two partitions have equal total and free space (within a few MB of fudge), MythTV will assume you have defined two directories on the same partition, and will merge them for the purposes of display and disk scheduler selection.