[mythtv-users] MythTV does not see new Default Storage Group drive

Mike's JdJ stepsisters at comcast.net
Sat Nov 23 02:34:30 UTC 2013

Thank you for the reply Stephen; good points.

On 11/22/2013 08:49 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 18:24:28 -0500, you wrote:
>

>> 'Default' Storage Group Directories in MythTV Setup:
>> /var/lib/mythtv/recordings
>
> That looks like a bad idea - the /var/lib/mythtv/recordings directory
> is usually on your system partition.  Which means that your system
> partition can fill up with recordings.  And a full system partition
> causes has the potential for many different sorts of disasters.

I agree.
In this case /var/lib/mythtv/recordings has 96 GB used out of
451 GB total, or roughly 96 hours of recording available.
I'm very OCD, so I watch the system free space frequently.

Also, I'm using Balanced I/O and MythTV first records to
BigDisc, then BigDisc2, BigDisc3, BigDisc4 (if I can get MythTV
to see it), and finally to recordings.  I rarely get any files
in recordings.

My whole system is 5.8 TB, 1.3 TB used, 4.5 TB (77%) free.
A lot of storage, but I'm hoping that 4 data spindles will
minimize head movement and prolong drive life.

>> I've looked through several logs without seeing anything about
>> BigDisc4 and I keep staring at the two discs and I can't see why
>> BigDisc3 is and BigDisc4 is not recognized.
>
> Maybe a typo?  It is very easy to miss one even when looking hard. So,
> is your list of storage group directories above machine generated, or
> did you type it?

I had to type it into my e-mail; I have a screen shot and
verified.  In the GUI BackEnd, if I try to escape out of BackEnd
and one of the storage groups has a typo, it squawks and gives
an option to re-edit the storage groups.  I know.  A couple of
times.  It's a nice feature.