[mythtv-users] Who's running Myth on Arch, and what do you think?

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sat Nov 23 01:07:35 UTC 2013

On 23/11/2013, at 6:10 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

>> I've been looking for an RPM based distro that packages myth, so that
>> I can dump OpenSUSE, which has acquired a bad case of Drug-Resistant
>> Poettering Disease, and I see that Arch Linux fits both criteria.
>>
>> Anyone here using that build?  Did they do the job correctly?  Which
>> WM do you use?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- jra
>>
> Jay,
>
> I switch with my home server to Arch few years ago.
> Before I was on KnoppMyth, LinHES and Debian.
> Switch to Arch was best decision I took regarding my home server.
>
> Pros (my perception):
> -KISS (keep it simple) concept. Once You discover how they do things -
[snip]

Saying you are ugly and your mother dresses you funny is very unproductive, so sorry to all those who put lots of hard work into the rpm!

The rpm package is dreadfully un-simple. I build myth from git (on SuSE 12.3). Trying to build the rpm resulted in pages of missing dependancies. Examine the package scripts reveal many "hey I don't want that"

I build and install, but if I really wanted RPM then I'd package my own (It is quite easy).

James