[mythtv-users] Who's running Myth on Arch, and what do you think?

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Fri Nov 22 18:35:41 UTC 2013

On 11/22/2013 11:11 AM, Warpme wrote:
> On 22/11/13 05:26, Jay Ashworth wrote:
>> Oh bloody hell.
>>
>> systemd is a wonderous fix for a problem that *almost nobody actually had*,
>> complicating the most important part of system operations, the boot
>> sequence, by at least an order of magnitude, if not two.
> Well - it depends what problem You want to solve.
> If Your problem is too complicated init subsystem - then systemd isn't for You.
> If You want however:
> 1.speed-up boot process.
> 2.save resources by starting things You need (not You think You will need).
> 3.have multiple discrete daemons strictly defined start/stop/restart
> dependencies. Also whole system should behave correctly for unexpected things
> (daemon crash/hang). I mean functionally restore to expected state keeping in
> mind strictly defined order, etc.
> 4.correctly control/limit/schedule resources for multiple-forking daemons.
>
> then systemd is for You.
>
> There is no free lunch. Simple SysV init is simple but not fulfills any of above
> 4 points.
> Q is then what solution offers max. simplicity*features product.
> It looks like industry thinks systemd maxes here.
>
> Ad(1): My server boot time (end of POST to login prompt) is 2.8sec.
> Ad(2): think of having headless server where ssh/telnet/ftp/Xorg/etc are
> starting only when ssh/telnet/ftp/VNC client touches this server.
> Ad(3): I have chain of 4 daemons required by mythbackend. I'm asking only for
> start be. Rest is done automatically by systemd. Also for crashes!
> Ad(4): My HTTP server can lauch 10+ CGI sessions. When HTTPd dies - with SysV
> You are left with all CGI zombies. When You have systemd - cgroup will allow You
> keep track (resources/state) of given daemon and it's ALL childs/helpers/forks/etc.

I certainly do not want to contribute to any part of starting another flame war
on systemd, and will keep any editorial comments to myself. Are the systemd
service files for mythbackend and mysql available somewhere? I just upgraded my
mythtv host to use systemd, and I'm stuck with a real kluge for getting those
two started. Thus far, searches have not shown me any candidates.

Thanks,

Larry