[mythtv-users] Who's running Myth on Arch, and what do you think?

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 03:40:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> [...]

Jay:

I guess I'm not entirely clear on what you are looking for.  Why are you
focused on the package management system?  Each packaging format -- RPM,
DEB, or Arch's tar.xz format -- has its own peculiarities, strengths and
weaknesses.  I would probably focus more on what you are looking to get out
of the distro in toto.  Arch is a wonderful distro, but you do have to keep
an eye on things and cannot just blindly update.  The Arch maintainers
assume you are paying attention and understand what's going on.  Having
said that, I get immense satisfaction out of my Arch systems.  I am always
learning something new from Arch, and the systems themselves seem much
snappier than my Fedora-based systems.  Fedora is easier to maintain,
however.

I'd figure out what you want out of your system and go from there rather
than worry about the package manager.  If it's simply a matter of being
used to one form of syntax, here is a good resource for translating the
commands you are used to:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta

George