[mythtv-users] How to start MythTV Backend?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 03:57:35 UTC 2013

On 11/20/2013 03:54 PM, Forum wrote:
> One question to user-rights for folders    /dev/dvb/adapter0   and /adapter1?
> Both folders have following user-rights:
> /dev/dvb/adapter0 $ ls -l
> insgesamt 0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 1 Nov 20 15:27 demux0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 2 Nov 20 15:27 dvr0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 0 Nov 20 15:27 frontend0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 3 Nov 20 15:27 net0
>
> Should user mythtv also have user-rights for /dev/dvb/adapter0 and adapter1?

No, at least mine look like:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Nov 20 16:33 dvb/adapter0/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Nov 20 16:33 dvb/adapter1/

You reported:

 > In "Capture Card Setup", the field DVB device is now filled with "/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0",
 > but in FrontendID, I still have an error:
 > "Could not get card ... [] Subtype: Unknown error".

1. When you ran mythtv-setup, were you running the program as user mythtv?
    If not, you should add yourself to the video group too. But, it's better
    to run mythtv-setup as the mythtv user.

2. Are you sure you loaded the correct version of the firmware? See:
    http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Linux4Media_cineS2_DVB-S2_Twin_Tuner

Also, my minor device numbers are different, except net0. I don't
have the card you do, so I can't say that it's wrong, just different.

crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 0 Nov 20 16:33 demux0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 1 Nov 20 16:33 dvr0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 2 Nov 20 16:33 frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 3 Nov 20 16:33 net0