[mythtv-users] Archive to DVD - time format error

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Mon Nov 18 02:35:24 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 06:30:19PM -0500, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> but I added it anyway :)  I also added, at the beginning:
>
>         write( "starttime=(%s)" % starttime)
>
> near the beginning of that function, before the search for the recording.
>
> Now I get this additional message in the log:
>
> 2013-11-17 18:07:56 starttime=(
>         2013-11-14T18:14:00-05:00
>     )
>
> So you're right - there seems to be extra linefeeds and padding in there.
>
> But isn't that string generated on the fly by the isoformat() function
> from an internal type date value?  How/why would it be putting that junk
> in there?

OK, after poking in the mythburn.py file, I think I see how. The generated
string isn't used directly. Instead, all the info about the video is
written to an 'info.xml' file in the work directory for that video,
I believe at the end of getFileInformation at about line 1504.

Later, that file is read back into a DOM object. The starttime string
is not the original one generated, but the one read from the info.xml file.
And sure enough, in the info.xml file, I see

    <starttime>
        2013-11-14T18:14:00-05:00
    </starttime>

Since it matches the string with the "junk" mentioned above, I strongly
suspect that this is where it comes from.

I also suspect that this is the tip of the iceberg. I would think that even
if we got past the problem with this string, other strings garnered from
that info.xml file would also be problematic.

So why am I the only one seeing this? Do I have an inferior minidom
implementation that doesn't strip blanks? Is there aa problem with the
way info.xml is written in a "pretty" format instead of tightly packed?

Something else?

I'm running way up against my python ignorance. :)

mm