[mythtv-users] State of blu-ray support?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sat Nov 16 19:28:33 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM, HP-mini <blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> The means & the will are there to make this scenario commonplace.
> "The bureaucracy" is probably the only thing saving the day.
>
> @Eric
> If the update was just for later AACS MKB then the old BDs would still
> play. If the host cert or device keys were revoked then no BDs would
> play.
>
> If you updated the drive f/w how do you know for sure all the old BDs
> would have played with previous f/w after the new BD had been
> inserted ? ..

You're absolutely correct key revocation is possible and it's possible
that updates can remove functionality of the device, but you previous
post stating:

"all BD players will get their device keys revoked periodically"

implies that this happens much more commonly than it has historically.
 It just seemed a bit over the top to me.  Sort of like saying:

  All American citizens will be shot by their police periodically.

and then justifying this by pointing out that all such police carry
firearms and such shootings have happened.

Eric