[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime Troubles with Comcast

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 04:47:07 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Mark Pennock <markitman2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the HDHR3 browser interface status page it shows that "Card OOB Lock" is
> weak. I worked with a comcast tech and she said I need a new cable card. I'm
> kind of scetpical of this and was wondering if anybody has had a similar
> experience.

What is the level when you say "weak"?  It is not at all uncommon
for the OOB channel to show a (noticably) lower signal level than
"the other channels".  What matters is the signal quality.  Since
the OOB channel runs at a low data rate format (often QAM 16,
2.048 Mb/s), it is highly tolerant of a less than ideal signal path.
And, the data that the CableCARD processes are not especially
time sensitive, so if it misses the data at one time, it should get
it the next time (eventually).  Note that tuning/decoding the OOB
signal (into the bits for the CableCARD) is done by the HDHR,
not the CableCARD itself.  So a "low" signal is not (likely) the
CableCARD, although stranger things have happened.  It is likely
to be either your wiring (be sure to test by connecting directly
(before any splitters/amps) to your wall jack), or a Comcast
cable plant issue.  However, after testing before any splitters
(preferably as close to the demark as possible), I would follow
the Comcast advice to swap the card because they are going
to want you to do that before they dispatch a tech to verify
the cable plant.  So it is usually the path of least resistance.

Note that if the quality is "low", than actions taken by Comcast
(for example, updating your subscription level, which sends
down the info about your channel list) may take some time
to be seen by the card.  And if the signal quality is really low,
and no updates are seen by the card for an extended period,
it will deauthorize all channels.  So a too low quality is
something to get fixed.

By any chance are you in a Motorola franchise?  To get the
proper channels enabled on your CC Comcast typically has to
update not only your account, but to also update/provision each
(and every) CableCARD on your account for the same channels.
Sometimes the system has to delete the entire card and start
from scratch to get things properly built.  One thing that a new
CableCARD will do is clean up the old record, giving you the
chance to get things right (you should consider trying self
activation is it is an option in your franchise).

One other error that can occur (especially in locations
with multiple franchises) is that your CableCARD was
provisioned to be in the wrong hub/headend.  While STBs
do two-way communication that can detect such issues,
the HDHR is a one-way device, so an error in provisioning
your account can result in in missing channels.  If the VCT
is zero, but NIT/NTT/STT is not (in the CableCARD/Network
Setup menu) then you may have been mis-configured.  There
is an area near San Jose CA which is notorious for this issue,
but it can happen anywhere.

Gary