[mythtv-users] Mythwelcome refuses shutdown

Richard Hulme peper03 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 15 19:20:51 UTC 2013

On 15/11/13 12:31, Daniel Di Giacomo wrote:

> Am 12.11.2013 00:10, schrieb Richard Hulme:
>>
>> As a workaround, I currently put the frontend to sleep by pressing
>> 'm' in the main menu and selecting 'Enter standby mode'.
>>
>> I guess most people don't use mythwelcome, so haven't been affected
>> by this bug.  I only use(d) it as a way of explicitly telling the
>> box that it could shut down, which is what 'standby mode' does
>> too.
>>

> Hi Richard,
>
> I use mythwelcome, because the box is a slave-backend/frontend-combo
> and I didn't want to startup the frontend automatically when the
> slave-backend just does some recordings with the attached TV turned off.
> The master-backend should send the slave-backend to sleep if it's idle.
>
> When there are no running jobs neither on the master- nor on the
> slave-backend, I am able to press 'm' in mythwelcome and select
> 'shutdown'.
> Unfortunately it refuses to shut down when there are running jobs on
> the master(!)-backend only, which does not make sense imho.
>
> Would it be better to autostart mythfrontend directly and set an
> idle-timeout-value for it?
> Would this setting respect the slave-backend doing recordings?

Cutting out mythwelcome would obviously stop it causing problems :)

I don't have a slave backend so I don't really know what the behaviour
is and/or should be so at the moment I can only suggest you try it.

The only issue I can see with starting mythfrontend directly is that you
probably want the box to shut down fairly quickly if it was woken
because of a recording, so you wouldn't want a long idle timeout.  If
you start the box yourself to watch something, you may want a longer
idle timeout so that it doesn't shut down as if you happen to leave it
in a menu to answer the phone (for example).  Using mythwelcome lets you
have a short timeout there, and a longer timeout in mythfrontend.

You can press 'm' in the mythfrontend menu to put it into standby.  You
should see immediately whether it is ready to shutdown or not.

Oddly, if my combined backend/frontend wakes up to record something,
mythwelcome works as expected.  If I start the frontend via mythwelcome,
then exit back to mythwelcome when I've finished, it doesn't seem to
ever want to shut down.  I'm not sure what the difference is.  I will
try to investigate.

Richard.