[mythtv-users] OFF TOPIC: Text Editor(s) ?

Stefan Jones stefan_jones at comcast.net
Fri Nov 15 02:38:21 UTC 2013

I will second the notion of learning the BASICS of vi or vim.

Just enough to open a text file, move around, and do a basic edit on a line.

If you ever have your X session go wonky, or end up with a kernel / grub configuration that isn't tenable, you'll at least be able to diddle around with config files.

There are likely tutorials on the basic stuff. PRINT OUT a cheat card and tuck it into a cranny of your entertainment center.

(Me, I've written BOOKS with vi. Literally. I have a sideline of writing "adventures" and variant material for pencil and paper role playing games. When I just want to let loose and create easily transportable text, I use vi or vim. My latest project is a solitaire adventure, similar to the old Choose Your Own Adventure books. I scrambled the paragraph order with a combination of a perl script and vi commands.)

Stefan