[mythtv-users] Anybody use Airplay Mirroring with MacOS FE and Apple TV?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Nov 12 20:27:42 UTC 2013

At 3:13 PM -0500 11/12/13, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>On 11/12/2013 1:31 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:
>>I have an aging Core Duo iMac FE in my kitchen. I've been planning
>>to replace it with an HDMI monitor and some extenders back to my
>>main FE in the basement, however after using Airplay mirroring
>>today in our boardroom with my Macbook, I may have other ideas.
>>
>>My Macbook has an 0.26 FE on it that I rarely use. I was thinking
>>about purchasing an AppleTV, running Myth on it, and using Display
>>Mirroring to send the video to the kitchen monitor. I'd expect some
>>sort of loss of picture and / or audio quality but since it's a
>>kitchen tv, I'm fine with a little fuzziness.
>
>MythTV does not run on the AppleTV, nor does the AppleTV run OSX.

No, he's proposing to run the frontend on his laptop and use an OS X
feature to mirror the display on the AppleTV-connected screen.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404

I thought his idea was intriguing won't be able to test it until
later.  In a way, he's proposing to use Airplay to transcode the
video on the fly to something the AppleTV can render.  Still leaves a
problem of how to control the laptop.  Tablet or smartphone?

Craig