[mythtv-users] Alternatives to lossless transcode

mark perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 12 09:31:15 UTC 2013

On 11/11/13 21:16, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 11/11/2013 05:38, mark wrote:
>>> I'm not suggesting that lossless transcode shouldn't be fixed, but
>>> since you are post processing with handbrake your purpose in using it
>>> is to avoid two lossy steps, so why not just do it in one step by
>>> using mythtranscode in --fifodir mode, running the result into ffmpeg.
>>> I've been getting perfect results that way for some time now. I
>>> attached a script to the mythtranscode wiki page.
>> Thanks Paul, but I am keen to remove the commercials as well. Partly
>> because of storage constraints but partly to not have to skip them
>> whenever I watch things again later. My reading of the wiki was that
>> --fifodir does not remove the commercials and just outputs the raw
>> streams.
>
> There's a --honorcutlist option (which my script uses). That will remove
> the commercials... well I guess you need to go into the cutlist editor
> and tell it to apply the commercial flagging as a cutlist, but I thought
> you had to do that with lossless transcode too. There's also a
> --cleancut option that improves cutting by doing the last 200ish frames
> of each cut by skipping rather than trying to jump to the exact end.
>
> Cheers,
>      Paul.

Thanks Paul, I must have mis-read the wiki as I thought --fifodir only
output the raw streams hence would ignore things like --honorcutlist.
I've tried to run it to see what it does but it keeps just hanging at
the first cutpoint no error message or anything it just sits there like
something is happening but nothing ever does (at least not in the few
hours I let it sit). I tried again --verbose all and couldn't see
anything of note, it just seems to stop. I guess whatever is in the
recording that is causing problems with --mpeg2 is also causing problems
with --fifodir.