[mythtv-users] New MythTV popups - Video lookup

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Nov 11 15:59:43 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-11-11 at 10:15 -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> The background scan sends events to the user interface as it finds them,
> causing them to pop up immediately.  It does not wait until the end of
> the scan, so as you have discovered, the current design can be very
> disruptive if you are running the scan for the first time over a large
> library.

I'm certainly no UI/UX person but this seems a good example of why
"popping-up" dialogs in an asynchronous environment is bad.  A
"notifications pending" system is better for this, where the user gets
an unobtrusive notification that there are events awaiting action and
they can go deal with those events when it's suitable.

Cheers,
b.