[mythtv-users] Music channels on Comcast cable

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 10 23:49:24 UTC 2013

On 11/10/2013 01:56 PM, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 12:13:50PM -0500, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:

>> I also found the Comcast Music channels do not work with mythtv. My
>> guess is there is something with the stream that is different from what
>> mythtv is expecting, and some coding would need to be done to make it work.
> Distant memory from back in the dark days, years ago, when I had a
> Comcast DVR says that there used to be a bit of visual info about what
> song was playing.  I could be confusing this with even older memories of
> Dish TV.  But perhaps there is a very slow-frame-rate video associated
> with the channel that confuses the mythtv player. mythtv, as I say, does
> flash bits of still video as it attempts to play the channel. It may be
> finding a video and synching to it at a too-fast rate, which would
> explain the rapid skipping through the audio that I hear. As I say,
> mplayer doesn't find any video at all (at least without any extended
> command line options, which I haven't tried) - just audio.
>
> Anyway, at least I can use the command-line utility to pipe a music
> channel through a player and listen to it that way, if I care to.
>
> mm

I found that you can play the music stream with its pictures, using VLC,
as follows:

VLC - open network stream udp://:5000
hdhomerun_config 13199370 set /tuner2/vchannel 418
hdhomerun_config 13199370 set /tuner2/target udp://192.168.0.198:5000
(That last is your computer's ip address that is running VLC).

Peter