[mythtv-users] Audio not working... What should I check?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Nov 8 20:55:25 UTC 2013

> At a command prompt:
>
> ps -A | grep pulseaudio
>

> Is the you typed above, between the "-A" and the "grep" the pipe symbol?
> (i.e.: shift-"\" on most US keyboards.)
>

> I typed it with the "pipe" symbol, and here is the result:
>
> "2128 ?      00:00:00  pulseaudio"
>
> note that the "pulseaudio" is in red.
>
> What does this mean?

Yes that is a pipe... it allows you to pass the output of one command
to another command.  Here you piped the output of the "ps" (process
status) command to grep (GNU Regular Expression Parser , or something
like that) that allows you to only see the lines of output your
interested in.  You could have just used the "ps" command and found
the line you wanted manually... but that's tedious.

The output is telling you that Pulse Audio is running with PID
(process ID) 2128, is not currently active on any CPU's (the ?), and
has used 0 seconds of CPU time.  <at least thats the way I interpet
the output of PS... I may be a little off.