[mythtv-users] Nvidia chipset motherboard recommendations

Rajil Saraswat rajil.s at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 15:53:09 UTC 2013

> nvidia hasn't made chipsets for x86 boards in many years.
>
> Unless you're buying vintage equipment (and "5. AMD board preferred since
> processors are cheaper." seems to indicate you're not since buying outdated
> CPU/memory/motherboards is *much* more expensive than buying modern), you'll
> have to buy a system with some other chipset and then add a discrete nvidia
> video card.  An alternative (but, again, *much* more expensive) is to buy a
> motherboard with an integrated nvidia mobile GPU (i.e. as used in laptops).
>
> Fortunately, though, you can disable the integrated (on mobo or on APU) GPU
> in the BIOS and the power usage due to it's being there is negligible.
>
> Mike

Looks like I will have to go with a new system altogether. I have been
looking at the current Intel offerings. Is Intel G2020 good for a
combined BE/FE? My main purpose is to SD recordings and convert them
to H.264 mkv files using mencoder. I had been happily doing this with
AMD Athlon II X2 250 card until now.

The i3 CPU is more expensive and supports hyper-threading. Is
hyper-threading useful with mythtv/mencoder?