[mythtv-users] firmware for the HVR-1800 (vrs. the 2250)

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Thu Nov 7 19:56:51 UTC 2013

On 11/07/2013 01:44 PM, Leif Pihl wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2013, at 10:47 AM, Leif Pihl wrote:
>> Doug Lyle:
>>
>> Thanks for the information.
>> So far it's NOT working (more on that down-page), but at least I've got a start.
>
> << CLIP >>
>
>> I have a suspicion that since I have MythBuntu installed, and not the entire
>> Ubuntu package, that MAYBE the program called "unzip" is not available.  Am I
>> anywhere near correct?
>

> One more sliver of progress has been made.
> I installed unzip, and ran the extract.sh script.
> I now DO have the two relevant files.
>
> BUT...
>

>>> Firmware extracted successfully
>>>
>>> Now manually copy firmware into your firmware dir
>>>   E.g. sudo cp v4l-cx23885-enc.fw <http://v4l-cx23885-enc.fw/>
>>> /lib/firmware/3.5.0-17-generic
>>>   E.g. sudo cp v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw <http://v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw/>
>>> /lib/firmware/3.5.0-17-generic
>
> The subdirectories of 3.5.0-17-generic do not seem to exist within my
> /lib/firmware/ directory.
> What DOES exist is 3.5.0-23-generic  AND  3.5.0-42-generic.
>
> Should I:
> * copy both files into both directories, or
> * only one or the other and run some sort of a clean-up utility program ???

The user-space part of firmware loading always checks /lib/firmware first when

If the file is not found in the first search, then the loader will check
/lib/firmware/`uname -r` for the file. This mechanism is useful if you want/need
to change the firmware version when you go to a new kernel version. As this
operation is rarely used, most of us never need to have other than the files and
non-version directories in /lib/firmware.

Larry