[mythtv-users] Alternatives to lossless transcode

mark perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 6 20:07:33 UTC 2013

On 06/11/13 16:00, John Finlay wrote:
> Does the original file have any audio problems, etc.? Can Handbrake
> successfully encode the original file without audio problems, etc.? Does
> the losslessly transcoded file have the audio problems and errors i.e.
> before Handbrake processing?
>
> The errors ("write_section_data: PID 0x192 CRC error" and "start time is
> not set in estimate_timings_from_pts") in the log seem to be occurring
> when mythtranscode is scanning the input file for analysis. The other
> errors seem to occur when generating the keyframe index.

All good questions:
  - there are no apparent audio problems playing the original file via
MythTV or via Windows Media Player.
  - Handbrake can successfully encode the original file (uncut /
untouched by Mythtranscode). BUT encoded file does have the same
apparent audio errors with audio / video out of sync. Interestingly the
output of running this with handbrake shows no errors
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rt5fdxju9ytwsmo/handbrake_no_mythtranscode.txt
  - there are no apparent errors playing the Mythtranscode output via
WMP despite the errors (ie audio is appropriately in sync when played
via WMP).
  - audio output of Handbrake post-processed file is out of sync
(severely) when played via WMP.

Have attached mediainfo reports:
  - on the original file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9nsf6n70oif4bn/mediainfo_original.txt
  - the output of mythtranscode
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kez4gsj73yb693/mediainfo_mythtranscoded.txt
  - the output of Handbrake encode of mythtranscoded file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipnu05kfxvwl7b5/mediainfo_handbrake.txt
  - the output of Handbrake encode of original uncut file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/maj2ujg82dyusfx/mediainfo_handbrake_no_mythtranscode.txt

I hadn't previously identified that Handbrake was having issues even
with the original files.

Happy to try and assist with any other troubleshooting steps that can be
suggested.

Mark