[mythtv-users] OT:Protection of htpc from power surge through incoming cable

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 14:19:45 UTC 2013

Yes and no.
Yes, mild surges can be protected against, there are plenty of surge
protectors on the market for both power line and one's cable line.
No, as in a direct strike from lightning on the line has no real
protection for consumer equipment. I've only found industrial equipment
that can handle that input.

First and foremost: ground the cable's shield at your demarcation point
(in my case, a grounding block outside of the house.
Then, add in a surge protector.
Did a search on Amazon for "cable surge protector" and found plenty of
lightning arrestors. They can't quite handle a direct, close strike, but
distant strikes and induced currents from near misses can be handled by
them.