[mythtv-users] OT:Protection of htpc from power surge through incoming cable

Rajil Saraswat rajil.s at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 11:08:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a cable connected to my settop box which feeds analog video via
composite cable to my htpc (using PVR 500). The htpc is connected to
the LCD TV via hdmi.

Recently, there was a power surge and the TV blew off. We suspect that
there was a power surge through the incoming cable which killed the
TV. The TV technician said that the TV PCB is all black.

Is there any way to stop power surge through the incoming cable in the future?

If anybody is wondering what happened to the computer, I dont know yet
(i am travelling at the moment). I have been told that the computer
power led turns 'on', but the hdd led doesnt flicker. I suspect the
motherboard is probably fried too.

Regards,
Rajil