[mythtv-users] HD video with xv-blit + nvidia driver intermittently displays empty blue screen

Kevin Worth kworth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 05:11:56 UTC 2013

This issue occurred before, but I had a lot of variables to eliminate,
including switching from a FireWire connection to a cable box to an HD
Homerun Prime.

I am running MythTV 0.27 on Mythbuntu 12.04.3 with nVidia drivers
173.14.37-0ubuntu0.0.1 and a card lspci identifies as "VGA compatible
controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series] (rev a2)".

The main thing that seems to trigger it is switching around between
different video resolutions and formats. Sometimes it's as simple as
changing channels between SD and HD, but it doesn't seem to be consistent.
However, once it goes bad, I can't play any HD video or watch live HD
channels, but if I restart mythfrontend, it comes back fine.

My assumption is that the blue screen is a keying color that the nVidia
driver should be playing over and something has gone awry with said driver.
When the system enters this state if I switch to xlib or xshm (i.e. no
hardware assist) I can play the videos that weren't working before but
obviously these renderers perform far worse than xv-blit (the default) and
opengl seems to be too demanding for this old/cheap video card.

Any suggestions on something I could try? I was going to leave
mythtfrontend running with "--verbose all,nodatabase" but video playback is
slowed so I can't really leave it that way to wait for the problem to
manifest. Something specific I can enable? Something I should be grepping
for?

Thanks!