[mythtv-users] Current recommended Nvidia card to replace an old failing (fan) 220?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Nov 5 16:33:21 UTC 2013

On 5 Nov 2013, at 16:25, John Veness <John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk> wrote:

> On 05/11/2013 16:19, david.scott.day at gmail.com wrote:
>> I have been happily using MythTV using an Nvidia 220 for years but now
>> the fan is failing, causing frequent several second blackouts. I took
>> the card out and blew the dust/cat hair/etc out but the fan is still
>> loud and slow.
>>
>> I suppose the 220 is old technology at this point and would appreciate
>> some guidance at to what current Nvidia card is recommended for Myth.
>> One slot only please, and it would be a plus if it was fanless, though
>> this card with a fan has been fine until now.
>
> I don't know about a new card recommendation, but if I was in your situation I'd look into whether it was possible to replace the fan on your current card.

Yes, the 220 is still an excellent card provided you don't need bitstreamed HD Audio.

I have an old 220 where the fan bunged up, I just removed the card fan and put a huge slow fan above the card blowing over the now fanless heatsink.

In another machine I have a fanless GT640 which works beautifully, I had a GT430 before that which very very nearly almost worked flawlessly.

I maintain that the 640 produces a slightly less noisy image quality than the 220 but Jean Yves maintains that I'm imagining it ;-)

Andre