[mythtv-users] 0.27 mythfrontend using 100% cpu

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 1 14:10:39 UTC 2013

On 11/01/2013 09:47 AM, Jack Perveiler wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 10/31/2013 08:31 PM, Jack Perveiler wrote:
>>
>>> I was on 0.27 happily for a couple of uneventful weeks when all of a
>>> sudden mythfrontend now insists on using 100% CPU while sitting idle at the
>>> main menu (and is largely unresponsive).
>>>
>> Out of curiosity, do you have a ${HOME}/.ICEauthority file for the user
>> who's running mythfrontend?  If so, what happens if you:
>>
>> sudo rm ${HOME}/.ICEauthority
>>
>> and then restart mythfrontend?  If that doesn't help, try doing the same
>> thing and then restart all of X.
>>
>> (This is just a guess and may not help, but it won't cause any harm if I'm
>> wrong.)
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Well THAT'S weird.
>
> My googling also found the .ICEauthority tip so I tried it last night to no
> avail (I was hopeful as there was ICE stuff in the gdb stack).  But before
> I replied that it didn't work I wanted to give it another try to be sure
> and now it's working just fine.
>
> So I seem to be good-to-go right now.  For posterity here's the complete
> list of my symptoms:
>
> 1) mythfrontend took a long time to start, even without 100% CPU.  Don't
> know exactly what it was doing.
> 2) Once mythfrontend started, a randomish (maybe 5 to 10 seconds) time
> later it went to 100% CPU when in the menus (main menu, watch recordings,
> etc).  Everything was VERY sluggish but ultimately (and slowly) responded
> to input.
> 3) During playback (with VDPAU) the CPU went down to a very nice 2%
> 4) I don't know if CPU went back to 100% after exiting playback (never
> tried it, and now things work again).
>
> Anyways, removing .ICEauthority seems to have worked.  Maybe last night I
> did something stupid like removed it on my backend instead of the frontend
> (separate boxes).
>
> Thanks everybody,

Glad it worked.  Unfortunately, it doesn't help you find the root cause
of the problem--the someone or something (some application) that changed
the permissions on the .ICEauthority file...  At least you know what to
look for and might be able to narrow down what application is
misbehaving, next time, based on the time its permissions/ownership was
modified, which should be visible with ls -lc ~/.ICEauthority , and any
memory of what application may have been run around that time).

Mike