[mythtv-users] How much is too much CPU?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri May 31 14:52:27 UTC 2013

On 5/31/2013 10:32 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 13-05-31 10:19 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> I'm not aware of any decent MPEG2 players for iDevices.
> Oh, that's a pity.  I suppose Apple is keeping MPEG2 players out of the
> app-store, or I'd presume somebody would have submitted one already?
> One of the prices one pays for the Apple (or any for that matter)
> walled-garden/silo I suppose.

iOS devices have no hardware MPEG2 support, or rather they do, but it is
locked out in software.  The only way to do hardware MPEG2 playback is
to root the device and install something that accesses an undocumented,
low level video interface.

If they're intentionally restricting the ability of the hardware to play
the content, they're not going to be too keen on allowing software to
perform software decoding of it.