[mythtv-users] Lowest power HD frontend?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue May 28 17:28:17 UTC 2013

>  I know there is i3 530 that is like 16 watts
>>

> Really?  I looked up the i3-530 and it has a TDP of 73 W!
>
> http://ark.intel.com/products/**46472/Intel-Core-i3-530-**
> Processor-4M-Cache-2_93-GHz<http://ark.intel.com/products/46472/Intel-Core-i3-530-Processor-4M-Cache-2_93-GHz>
>
> Also, that's just the CPU.  By comparison the Atom 330 used in the IONITX
> stuff has a TDP of 8 W.

TDP numbers are really almost worthless these days.  The number is accurate
IFF the processor is fully utilized... which it rarely, if ever, is.  They
pack so much on the silicon these days that it's hard to get to the TDP...
essentially, you would need to fully load both cores, the GPU, memory
controllers, cache, etc.

If your offloading most of the work to an external GPU, The chip will
likely be in the under 20W range 99% of the time.  With a bit of tweaking,
you might be able to actually force it to stay there 100% of the time...
however I don't see a point to doing that... it's good to have the power to
spare when it's needed.