[mythtv-users] Intel NUC i3 as a frontend?

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Sun May 26 20:25:42 UTC 2013

It's what I'm currently using as a frontend only. It works pretty well. All
my experience is with FFMPEG playback; I attempted to get VAAPI working but
didn't have great success.1080i broadcast content in the USA is handled
easily (MPEG2). I have an HD-PVR at max bitrate and that plays fine, though
I can't do my usual 1.5x timestretch on 1080i from the HD-PVR. It gets a
little choppy. 1.3x is fine.
Picture quality is not as good as when I was previously using a VDPAU card.
It's especially noticeable in bluray x264 1080p rips. They play back fine
but there is a fair amount of banding and the colors are sometimes washed
out.
I'm not sure about the limited audio capabilities you mention, is this the
fact that it cannot output multi-channel PCM? There is a setting in the
frontend somewhere to always re-encode to dolby. This is how I use multi
channel audio.

Surely there are other, cheaper frontend machines out there (remember you
still need an SSD and SRAM). I doubt that any have as small of a footprint,
and I can't speak to the noise level of any others, but the Intel NUC is
about as near silent as I think is possible.

--
Justin Johnson