[mythtv-users] Red drives

Fredrik Hallgårde mythtv at tedde.nu
Sun May 26 20:19:45 UTC 2013

On 05/26/2013 09:49 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> Just curious if anyone's using the WD Red drives in their backends? I
> read somewhere that they were very reliable.

Yes I am using one of the 3TB Red ones. However I haven't had it very
long but wanted to share two insights I had after a 750GB disk failed
(overheating).

1. When adding more disks, review whether you should also add more
cooling (one way or another)

2. It's probably worth having the recordings backed up (even if "its
only tv") as its a pain to
a) be in a position that some recordings are lost but there are orphans
in the database
b) be in a position where you don't want to run findorphans (or similar)
to clean out the database until you have made an attempt to recover the
recordings (ddrescue to the rescue in my case)
c) explain to the family (mostly yourself) that $100 worth of extra disk
would have saved several hours of frustration (e.g. "why is the last
Dora missing?", "should I just clean out the db or not?")

Just a few thoughts...

Fredrik