[mythtv-users] Hardware list for new mythtv box

Per Hatlevik jakeisawake at gmail.com
Sat May 25 15:17:07 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 7:30 AM, LAUKENS Niels <Niels.LAUKENS at vrt.be> wrote:

> On 2013-05-23 13:43, Mike Perkins wrote:
> >Remember also that the noise of the disk drives can be a factor in your
> >overall
> >quest for a quiet system. That is one major reason why many of us opt for
> >split
> >systems, a quiet diskless or simple front-end and a big back-end
> >somewhere else
> >in the house full of disks and fans.
>
> I've been considering this approach as well. I searched for a few hours
> for a completely silent frontend-box (no fans, no moving parts at all),
> but they're hard to find.
>
> I've actually only found the ION2-based boards to be completely fanless
> and powerfull enough to run Myth with at least some form of de-interlacer.
> I've found:
>
> * the Shuttle XS35GT; but in webshops I can only seem to find the v2 and
> v3, which have an AMD GPU
>
> * Habey NVidia ION2 Embedded Fanless PC; seems to have bad thermal design
> (HDD blocks hot CPU air)
>
> * Jetway NC98-525; seems reasonable.
>

> Any ideas/feedback/experiences with these?
>

> Thx!
>
> i recently bought a Jetway Mini-Top Atom Dual-Core 525 Intel NM10 NVIDIA
ION2 - HBJC600C99352W-BW off ebay and it works very well as a standalone
frontend. it's not entirely fanless but is extremely quiet. it came
barebones so all i did was add some ram (a 4GB stick does work in this
machine) and use mini-myth to boot diskless.

i have a few ION1 frontends scattered around the house and other than the
jetway feeling slightly faster (i assume due to the D525 vs. Atom 330) they
seem to be very similar to me.

i'm actually very happy with all my ION based frontends: all very quiet,
nice form factor and do everything i would expect a standalone frontend to
do.

hope that helps,

per hatlevik