[mythtv-users] Hardware list for new mythtv box

LAUKENS Niels Niels.LAUKENS at VRT.BE
Thu May 23 17:37:36 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-23 18:32, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>On 05/23/2013 07:30 AM, LAUKENS Niels wrote:
>>> This definitely won't be a problem.  You'll just configure 2 tuners
>>>with
>>> 0 virtual tuners.  You do this by explicitly lowering the default value
>>> of "Max recordings" from 2 to 1 in Capture Card setup.
>> But does that still allow a 3rd non-pay-TV channel to be
>>watched/recorded?
>>

>If you're saying that a given tuner allows you to access one channel
>using the CI/CAM while using the same tuner to watch other non-encrypted
>channels, that would work very differently from any other device I've
>ever heard of.  Either that or the cable company's layout of channels is
>different from any other I've heard of (where I'd guess they wouldn't
>multiplex encrypted and non-encrypted channels on the same frequency).

OK, let me try and rephrase my question a bit different. I'm sorry that my
initial description was not clear.

Assume my PayTV operator has 2 multiplexes A and B. Each has a few
channels: A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3. There are also FTA channels available,
say B4 (on mux B), C1, C2, C3, D1, D2, D3.

With multirec and 2 tuners, I can record/play e.g. C1, C2 and D1.
Tuner-wise, I could also do A1, A2 and B1, but the smartcard will not
allow that (i.e., all 3 recording will probably be damaged)
A1, B1, B4 would be another allowed combo.

So the question is: Can I tell MythTV that he can use a maximum of 2
channels from lists 1 (in this example: A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3), but allow
more channels if they're not on that list?

The obvious workaround would be to limit Myth to 2 tuners (and thus in my
example just disable MultiRec).

And actually, there is a transponder with mixed FTA & encrypted channels
(12.515GHz H on Astra 19.2E)

>So, using a single tuner to record an encrypted channel while also
>recording unencrypted channels with the same tuner probably won't work
>in MythTV.

I'm not sure *why* this shouldn't work. As far as I know, a CAM will just
decrypt what it can and leave the rest untouched, so the FTA channels will
still be available.

>An input with access to encrypted channels would--by
>definition--have a different Video Source from an input that can only
>access unencrypted channels.

Yes, but the reverse is not true: If all inputs have decryption, they can
-- by definition -- also receive FTA content, so there is no need for a
second Video Source.

>FWIW, most dual-tuner (or other multi-tuner) hardware presents to Linux
>as multiple Linux devices, which means they are defined as separate
>MythTV capture cards

Which was the reason for my other question: does it work with one hardware
CAM on the dual-tuner card.

Thx,
Niels

*** Disclaimer ***
Vlaamse Radio- en Televisieomroeporganisatie
Auguste Reyerslaan 52, 1043 Brussel

nv van publiek recht
BTW BE 0244.142.664
RPR Brussel