[mythtv-users] My port is missing ???

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed May 15 13:34:47 UTC 2013

On 05/15/2013 07:23 AM, Joseph DeGraw wrote:
 > First, Here is the output of the browser link to port 6544 on my mythtv box:
>
> *This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
> <String>mythtv2013</String>
>
> *Iget the same from my other box (10.0.1.12). Shows the line above. Host name is "mythtv2013". To me that appears to work fine unless more
> information should be displayed.

Perfect. Actually, <String>mythtv2013</String> is all you're looking for.

>  From my android phone (galaxy II) running the same line: http://10.0.1.12:6544/GetHostName I get a 404: Not Found error.

As Raymond pointed out in his follow-up to your post, you left out
part of the URL (/Myth.)

> Now to the nmap port test you suggested:
 > $ nmap -p 6544 --reason yourBackendIP
> PORT     STATE SERVICE REASON
> 6544/tcp open  mythtv  syn-ack

Also perfect. I'm guessing that you tested on your backend initially and used
your hostname rather than IP. *buntu probably built an entry in /etc/hosts like
"127.0.1.1   mythtv2013" and nmap used that address, which mythbackend doesn't bind
to. This is not a problem.

> *This seems to show that the port is open and running service mythtv. However,When trying a FE only box/android and letting it scan for BE's.
> The BE is never found. I bet this is some configuration issue or something. The only changes I have made to the BE are 1. Changing the ip
> addresses in the mythtv-setup/general to 10.0.1.12

Right, port 6544 is not missing. Your FE scan for BE not found is probably the subject
for another thread, as I assumed this was in response to your initial thread re:
"...Android cannot connect".

The 2nd heading here: https://github.com/MythTV-Clients/MythTV-Android-Frontend/wiki/MythTV-Configuration-Suggestions
addresses scanning (Zeroconf) for your backend when using the MythTV Android Frontend.
Or, you can just enter your BE's IP address manually.

For other MythTV Android apps, you'll need to find their help site/forum.

--
Bill