[mythtv-users] Ceton infiniTV 6tuner devicesannounced(PCIeand Ethernet)

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Tue May 14 20:06:38 UTC 2013

Cheers,
Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Raymond Wagner
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:07 PM
To: 'Discussion about MythTV'
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Ceton infiniTV 6tuner
devicesannounced(PCIeand Ethernet)

From: Dean Collins
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:44 PM
> Thanks for teaching me that one windows media center pc cannot pass
> video content to another....i had no idea that you could only pass it
> to an xbox...wtf??

A quick search finds...
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home
/f/1
16/t/101276.aspx

You can access and play video files on a remote computer, but you cannot
play them as recordings. Since Ceton tuners (and all CableCard tuners on
the market) are network attached (the PCIe and USB cards use an internal
network), they can be bridged onto your local private network and
accessed by any WMC machine on the network. In this manner, any
networked WMC PC can access the tuner, but can only access recordings
made by that specific WMC PC. If you want recordings to be accessible on
multiple PCs, each PC must make its own independent recording.

> So can someone explain to me specifically what TimeWarner do for
> Show/HBO? Is it copy freely or copy once or copy never??

It's not going to be "Copy Freely", so from MythTV's perspective, it
doesn't really matter. One of the users on this list, Ron Frazier, has
been maintaining a database of copy protection flags, although since
CableCard on Time Warner is useless for MythTV users, he only has one
entry.

http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/cci/index.php?id=40

HBO is all "Copy Once", except for HBO Latino West HD, which is "Copy
Freely". You can chalk that one up to either a faulty scan, or
incompetance on Time Warner's part. Rest assured they didn't intend to
leave that one open.

> And yes I can fault "the factory representative" for Ceton passing
> information along incorrectly.

Their website has more accurate information, but requires you know a bit
about the cable systems to understand the terms.

Switched Digital Video is a mechanism Time Warner uses to allow denser
use of their bandwidth. They only have to broadcast the channels
customers are actually using.
http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/faq/#1530

Tru2Way is the interactive mechanism used to support Video On Demand and
any other interactive service.
http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/faq/#1537

Finally, a bit of information about the copy protection flags.
http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2
/8/c
opy-protection-flags

So basically what you are saying is the Ceton rep was full of BS on the
facebook post and their statement "if your cable box can record it then
the ceton pcie cablecard device can record it" is plain out wrong.

I wonder how many other people know that you can only watch the
recording on the same machine it was recrded on unless you have an xbox
to watch it in another room.