[mythtv-users] Ceton infiniTV 6 tuner devices announced (PCIe and Ethernet)

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Tue May 14 17:28:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <
> gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Joseph DeGraw <coffee412 at comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>> > If anyone is interested, I am running a ceton Infinitv4 card with
>> mythbuntu
>> > 12.04 and mythtv .26 and everything runs fine.
>>
>> My comment was about the new 6 tuner variant(s).  It is possible
>> Ceton changed something such that the existing MythTV codes
>> also need changing.  I do not know.  I did notice that Ceton has
>> some new Windows drivers that claim support of the 6 tuner variant.
>> Whether that is just changing some number from 4 to 6, or something
>> else is an open question until someone purchases the new device
>> and reports on their experiences.
>>
>> Gary
>>

> According to a correspondence I just received from Ceton, the existing
> linux drivers will work with the new PCIe version, and no drivers are
> needed for the networked version.  My guess is that the PCIe version will
> work out of the box.

No drivers are needed for the Ethernet version, but code changes definitely
are needed for MythTV to receive streams from it (unless there is a
previous ethernet-based Ceton which is already supported).

But, this is a very interesting device.  There have been a couple times
where I ran out of capacity on my 3 tuner HDHomeRun3-CC.   Six would be
overkill, but why not.

HDHR has always done a great job of supporting MythTV/Linux usage.  So, I
think I'll wait for the availability of the HDHR4 which has 4 tuners and
H.264 transcoding.  Then I'll compare these two devices to see which to
move to.