[mythtv-users] Ceton infiniTV 6 tuner devices announced (PCIe and Ethernet)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon May 13 18:43:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Six tuners with one CableCard? I didn't know that was possible?

The CableCARD spec allows up to 6 streams.  Most of the early
implementations limited this to fewer (in some cases hardware
limitations, in a few cases, a price point).

> It claims to support HBO and the other premium channels - Again, how's that
> possible? My HDHR Prime can't handle any of the premium channels. I have
> Charter, if that matters.

The Ceton devices are target for Windows users.  Windows supports
full DRM.  MythTV does not (can not) implement the required DRM.
Since Ceton is going to advertise for their target market, supporting
HBO is a marketing point.

So, "No HBO for you!" (says the DRM Nazi(*))

Gary

(*) Seinfeld reference -> the soup nazi