[mythtv-users] Dropped frames, simultaneous recordings and process priorities.

Frank Feuerbacher fbacher at brisbin.net
Mon May 13 02:40:46 UTC 2013

Our box is a 4 CPU 3.4GHz i5, 8G ram, Ubuntu 12.10, with a PCIe InfiniTV
4-tuner card (which produces mpeg-ts content). It usually has XBMC
running idle on it and mythtv. We also do background Handbrake encodings
and editing with Avidemux (as needed). I notice that under some
circumstances, our recordings have considerable noise, especially during
the first few minutes. My theory is that this occurs when consecutive
movies are recorded, or perhaps when more than one is recorded at once.
I do have the default set to record 1 minute before and after a show, so
we could be using two tuners and double the I/O for a minute for
consecutive recordings. On some occasions we might record two
consecutive shows on two channels simultaneously, so I guess we could
briefly have 4 recordings at once.

After a recording is complete, I make a copy of the .mpg to the same
disk to simplify the task of my wife copying the file to her machine for
Avidemux (avoids symlink issues). I also create an Avidemux index file.

I see that mythbackend runs with a normal *nice* value and with *ionice
idle*. I just modified my post-record script to run the copy and
avidemux create index with ionice idle and nice 10. Perhaps this will
solve my problem. But I am curious why mythbackend doesn't run with a
normal *ionice* value. Is the content from the InfiniTV considered I/O
by ionice and impacted by it? Does mythtv buffer frames as needed when
the I/O is backed up a bit?

If I have to I'll rearrange the disks or acquire more or faster (SSD)
disks. But I'm not sure if *ionice**idle* requires ALL I/O to be idle,
or if it is on a per-device basis. Today I have a disk for the normal
Ubuntu stuff (root, /usr, /home, /tmp). I have one, /pvr, for mthtv and
a staging area for movies to be edited or encoded and one for movies
after they have been encoded for XBMC. They are not fast disks (5400)